Friday, February 20, 2009

All the Days Planned for Me...Part One

I wanted to share a story with you that has affected my life, our family, our church, and community. This happened in January, but it is still relevent for all today.



"All the days planned for me were written in Your book before one of them came to be." Psalm 139:16

Saturday morning, January 10th, 2009:


"Taylor, Leesha! Time to get up!"


I rolled over in my bed and groaned. It was a Saturday morning and I was very reluctant to get up from my sleep when Dad's voice woke us. I covered my head with the blankets.

My youngest sister Jayme came in to our room and proceeded to make her bed and give us the morning report. She started to chatter about the morning's activities and then began to talk about something intriguing.

"The prayer chain left a message this morning," she said. "Allen K. was in a car accident last night."

I knew this was going to affect my day.

First, the prayer chain never calls before 9:00 AM. Second, Jayme said something about him being air-lifted to a hospital in the Twin Cities.

I got up and washed my hair, for the "womenfolk" of the family were going to help serve at a funeral that afternoon at our church. A member of our church had had cancer for a long time and he had passed away earlier in the week. My heart was saddened already for his family, but now, my heart was burdened for the K's.

The K. family are members of our church. Allen was the oldest of the four kids and had graduated last spring. Though we did not know him well, I felt very concerned for him and his family.

We prayed for Allen and his family during our family devotion and then prepared to go to church.

Saturday Afternoon, January 10th, 2009:

When Mom, Leesha, Jayme, and I arrived at St. Stephens, the lady who had called with the prayer request came over and asked us if we got her message. We told her we did and Mom asked if she knew any details. She told us she didn't know. She then added she learned if Allen didn't show any signs of recovery, they were going to take him off life support.

We were shocked.

Though we knew "air-lifted" is a indication of serious injuries, we had no idea it was that serious. I immediately felt a rush of tears flood my eyes and my heart went out to the K's. Thoughts of "Why? He's only 19 years old! Why this pain for their family? Why?"

As everyone helped prepare for the dinner, the subject kept turning back to the tragic incident that had occured. We also learned the story...

Friday evening, January 9th, 2009:

Allen and a friend were driving home from a party on a road near our house, southbound to home. An eighteen-year old girl was driving on the road my dad travels on every work day, westbound. It was around 10:30 PM. As the girl's car approached the intersection, she missed the stop sign and Allen's car was broadsided. The friend and the girl walked away. Allen was severely injuried, with serious damage to his head. He was air-lifted to a Twin Cities' hospital and on the 10th, was taken off life support.



This story will be continued, including my feelings and questions, what God has shown me and our family, how we were able to serve through this trying time, and more in "All the Days Planned for Me...Part Two."

No comments: