Thursday, April 30, 2009

Psalm 73: Being Content with God

A Beautiful Braham Sunset-April 23rd, 2009

Two days ago, my little sister Jayme had the opportunity to pick a psalm for the day and she randomly chose Psalm 73, one of my favorite psalms. I had forgotten what a wonderful psalm it was, and I couldn't help but remember a journel entry I wrote about it two years ago:

"December 6th, 2007-Letters from the Heart
'But as for me, it is good to be near God' Psalm 73:28 NIV

Psalm 73 is a psalm of confession. The psalmist contritely admits how he has often envied the people of this world and wished he could have the 'joys' they possess. 'They have no struggles; their bodies are healthy and strong.' (verse 4)

I can relate to this man's heart. How frequently I find myself wishing I was like young ladies of this world. They do not have struggles with which I have to battle; they don't fight unpure thoughts. What problems do they possess?

But then, do they have a caring Father in Heaven to whom they may bring their problems? Does a normal young lady have the counsel and guidance of God's Word? Do they have the strength (God) I have?
In verses six through ten, the psalmist reveals the true nature of people who do not care for God. (Read)
I can say with the psalmist as he closes his prayer:
'Those who are far from you will perish; you destroy all who are unfaithful to you. But as for me, it is good to be near God. I have made the Sovereign Lord my refuge; I will tell of your deeds." (Psalm 73:27-28)

I just wanted to share this with you; be encouraged!
BTW: My mom is out of the hospital and feeling better on account of the prednisone she is on. Things are still unclear on what she has. I'll keep you posted; thanks for the prayers!

1 comment:

Chelsea Peterson said...

So glad your mom is out of the hospital! Will keep on praying. =)

Love in Christ,
Chelsea