Friday, April 24, 2009

Trials Produce Patience

Will too much patience drive me crazy?


Thanks for all the birthday wishes and prayers for my Mom. That was so nice of you! Happy Birthday to Alyssa and Kathryn as well!

Some of my favorite verses to turn to during trials are James 1:2-4.

"My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing the testing of your faith produces patience, but let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing." James 1:2-4 NKJV

I have found this verse is so true, especially now. Mom is back in the hospital; she was having worse problems yesterday, so our Pastor brought her into the emergency room for us (as none of us kids drive officially yet and Dad was at work). Today she is scheduled to have a "colonoscopy" (I think that's how you spell it) to see what's wrong with her. We hope and pray it's nothing serious!

With Mom gone, a lot of responsibility falls on me as I am the oldest girl of the house now (I am NOT having self-pity). It is PERFECT training for motherhood. Last night I made lasagna for dinner and, with Mom at the hospital, my younger siblings came to me with their hurts and thoughts. Helping them and listening to them really requires patience, especially when supper is late, I've splattered spaghetti sauce over my favorite shirt and jeans, and I am worried about Mom. Later in the evening we all kind of lost our patience, but earlier, I found it fufilling to assist them and to know my younger siblings trusted me.

Through this whole trial, I am learning patience is an essential quality for motherhood, and sacrificing is a large part of being a good sister and mother-in-training.

Patience is a virtue, and very important. My brother Caleb was just here asking about me doing some reading with him. I told him, "We'll see; wait until I'm done." He sighed, "I guess I have to wait." I smiled at Caleb and said, "Yep, that's patience." "What's patience?" he asked. "It's a virtue." "Oh."

Waiting and patience and perseverence all depend on each other. If we wait with patience, we will perseverence. Right now, we have to wait on the Lord to show us His perfect plan for our lives during this trial. Ben, Leesha, and I have made to commitment to "wait" for our future spouses. Caleb has to wait for me to read with him.

Once again I reminded of James: knowing the testing of your faith produces patience. Patience, what a "timely" lesson.

"Teach me, Lord, to wait."

2 comments:

Chelsea Peterson said...

Taylor, I can truly feel for you. I know exactly what you're going through. It *is* excellent practice for motherhood, but I also know that it is a very difficult thing to be the one who has to "keep it together" for younger siblings when you're worried about mom. But it is truly, truly amazing how God uses tough circumstances like this for our good. He used it to bring about my salvation, but it looks like you're more ahead of the game than I was and He'll be using it for your sanctification. =) I'll be keeping you and your family in my prayers! Keep pressing on and thanks for the wonderful example in having such a great attitude!

In Christ,
Chelsea

Miss Taylor said...

Thanks Chelsea for your encouraging words! It's good to know I'm not alone! I see you also went through a similiar circumstance (Mom gone) not too long ago, so it's comforting to know you survived! :)

Thanks again!

Blessings and Joy in the Journey!
Taylor