Monday, February 1, 2010

Growing Closer to God

I wrote this blog two years ago with a former blog service. I have
found this subject again relevant to my life today, and thought you
might benefit from it as well. Blessings! -Taylor

September 2008

Growing Closer to God

Growing closer to God is a commitment. I have been learning this over
the past few weeks as God continues to work on my heart. In order for
me to come to this conclusion, a few things have happened. First,
several influences have made me consider how much time I devote to God
and the studying of His Word.

Books: I have been reading good Christian books and a few in particular
stress the importance of having personal devotions and spending time
alone with God and His Word. "A Young Woman After God's Own Heart: A
Devotional" by Elizabeth George encourages young women to grow in their
prayer life and to commune with the Lord regularity. (Note: I do not
endorse all of the views that Elizabeth George has on all areas of life
and spiritual matters [for instance, she makes dating seem acceptable],
but it the book presents many good points otherwise.) Another book that
I have been reading is a book by a young woman in my area, Teresa
Nuckols. She has recently published a book for Christian young women
about devoting time to spend with God entitled "Consider the Lilies"
and I have been enjoying her sisterly encouragement. (For more
information about this book, visit www.lilacmeadows.com.) And of
course, I am convicted by God's Word and Jesus' example of often going
off in secret and praying to His Father.

People: My parents spend time, together and individually, in God's
Word, studying and praying. I have admired them for this commitment. My
mom every morning faithfully reads a devotion from a good devotional
book and then we (those who can read fairly well in my family) read
about two chapters a day in what book of the Bible we are studying at
the time. My parents are good examples (not perfect, but good) of
spending time in God's Word.

CDs: Our family has many wonderful resources in our home (as we found
out last week when we began to reorganize the family library; not a
particularly fun task, yet it can be enjoyable at times). Among those
resources are multiple CDs that provide godly encouragement. Last year,
my sister Leesha, Mom, and I attended a Bright Lights conference
presented by Sarah Mally. I received much encouragement from that
experience and among the resources gained were numerous CDs by Sarah
Mally and other Bright Lighters. In these, much stress is put on
personal time with God and memorizing Scripture. More nudging on my
heart. Another resource that has been a push in the right direction is
a CD put out by Crystal Paine called "What to Do While Waiting for
Prince Charming." In her presentation, Crystal encourages young women
to devote as much as they can now than to wait until they are married
and have families; they will have barely enough time then to spend at
least ten minutes in God's Word.

So, I have said all this to say this: I am striving to spend (as it has
been pointed out, it will cost me something: time!) more PTJ (Personal
Time with Jesus). For the more time I spend with Him, the more I will
be like Him. If you spend time with your family or friends, more than
not, people will be able to tell who you have been around by the way
you talk and act. I want to be like Christ, so I am making this a goal
of mine: to increase the time I devote to strengthening my relationship
with Christ and the reading of His Word.

In His Love, Miss Taylor

No comments: