Tuesday, October 19, 2010

An Undivided Heart

{From earlier this year}

"I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands. I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you." Psalm 119:10-11

Do you ever have problems concentrating on one thing, and one thing only? I do! When I was still in school, my mind constantly wandered: I was always thinking of what I could be doing, or dreaming about the future. Or while I am doing work around the home, I’m liable to leave it unfinished as I scurry off to do another pressing task or write a brainstorm. In fact, I am writing this thought while I should be doing dishes!

In Jeremiah 32:38-40, God speaks of giving His people "singleness of heart and action, so that they will always fear me for their own good and the good of their children after them." Our hearts and minds are easily swayed and we get distracted from what we should be doing. Our thoughts often wander into worry, fear, bitterness, or impurity. We need new hearts, as our old, sick and dying ones are too weak to withstand temptation and the troubles of this world. We need to be focused on the one thing, the right thing. "I will give them an undivided heart and put a new spirit in them; I will remove from them their heart of stone and give them a heart of flesh." Ezekiel 11:19

Are you ready for an undivided heart? I wasn’t, at first. I stubbornly held onto old thoughts and old ways. There were days I chose not to even try to battle myself. The lies I believed and sins I committed were difficult to shake because of their familiarity and comfort.

Honestly, God’s light of truth hurts our eyes and His Word cuts through our hardened hearts like a double-edge sword. Ouch! When the Master chips away at our sore and sinful hearts, the pain can be excruciating. This is why we like to avoid change in our hearts-it hurts! But until we lay our hearts bare or God wakes us by calamity, we will never become who He wants us to be in Him.

God knows we will never be satisfied apart from Him. He wants us to be focused on Him; He wants to give us an undivided heart. He wants our full attention! Our Loving Father desires to show us the way to go, but we often miss it because our thoughts are preoccupied with our own way.

Be aware this is not a easy road and the battles are long and difficult. But don’t get discouraged! Patience and perseverance pay off in the end. What takes your focus off the Lord? Lies? Stress? Guys? The past? Trace it, face it, and erase it. The Lord wants your "undivided attention". Are you paying attention?

No comments: