Monday, November 1, 2010

Surrendering My All Series: Your Sphere of Influence

Walks are the perfect time to think, refocus, pray, and of course, get some exercise. While I do not walk enough, I do enjoy strolling down our Quail Street and clearing my mind. It is so refreshing!

A couple of weeks ago, I needed to refocus my brain...and get some fresh air. Heading outside, I took off on our gravel road. As my feet moved swiftly, so did my mind. Engaging in "self-talk", I began, first quietly in my head, then gradually, outloud for the silent country road to hear.

"Who am I?"

"I am a daughter to my father and mother, a sister to Whitney, Ben, Uli, Leesha, Sam, Jayme, and Caleb, friend to Mal, a grandaughter, a great-grandaughter, a niece, a cousin, a friend, an acquaintance, an influence. This is who I am."

I then reminded myself of my responsibilities to each relationship, mainly, my immediate family relationships. Going through each member of my family and considering their individual personalities, needs, and love languages, I thought of ways to encourage them, to fulfill my duties as a daughter and sister, and to minister to them. It was rather overwhelming looking at how I have been, well, not failing, but lacking in my role as a daughter and sister.

These are the golden years of my life. Newly graduated, at home, unmarried, with many opportunities to grow and learn, healthly, able-minded, and impassioned to serve my Lord. All great ingredients to be the best corner pillar I can be for my family. Why waste these years dreaming of when "Prince Charming" stops by?

I may never be married and have a home of my own. But I am okay with that. "Seriously?" you ask. Yes, seriously. I am a daughter and sister to seven siblings! What a fertile field for me to work in! I dare not squander these precious years. Sam, Jayme, and Caleb will not be the tender young ages of 10, 8, and 7 for much longer, there may not be much time left with Ben and Leesha, and Whitney and Uli are already away from home. I have already wasted away years by not investing in my siblings lives. No more!

Also, what a great chance to assist my mom! After the many years of sacrifice and hard-work she has done for our family, I can step up and be a servant to her. Not a minute to lose!

And, I need to help bring my dad's visions to life, using my gifts and talents to further his goals for the family. It is my purpose as a daughter to be a blessing and joy to my parents.

What is your sphere of influence? Are you wishing your days away, while ignoring the greatest relationships in your life? Challenge yourself, examine your relationships. What's lacking? What do you need to be doing? Be who you are today. Just do it.

Lacheln,
Taylor

No comments: