Friday, November 5, 2010

SPIDERS!

My heart jumped slightly as I opened the cupboard: Eek! A spider! A nasty, icky, spindly, brown spider! It had made it’s home right inside the doorframe of the cupboard, and it started to squirm away from the light. My sudden fright turned into indignation. How dare a spider invade our cupboard and destroy the comfort and security of our home! I rushed to get a paper towel and swiftly exterminated the invader, proud of my victory. (Wasn’t I brave? :)

As I threw the dead spider away, my mind raced to the cupboards of my own mind. How many spiders could I find there? What spiders have invaded my heart and mind? As I searched my inner self, I could see the webs of bitterness, impurity, selfishness, and pride covering the corners of my heart. Eek! They had subtly invaded my mind-no, wait, I had subtly allowed them to invade my mind. Through careless guarding of my heart, I had given access to the spiders of sin and filth.

And what should be my attitude to these, these vile spiders of filth that affect my thoughts, words, and actions? Destroy them! Throw them away! Get rid of them!

I can’t help but think of Hebrews 12:1: "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us." I am often entangled by the webs of sin and hindered by the spiders of shame. But, praise be to God, I DON’T have to live in fear of the invading spiders; I can tell them to leave and claim the victory through Jesus Christ. In fact, I don’t only have to, I can’t live with the spiders anymore. I am a child of God, saved, and set free from sin and shame (1st Peter 9-10)!

"Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded." (James 4:8b ESV).

1 comment:

Amy W. said...

Hi Taylor!
Thank you for your comment on my blog! It was fun to hear from you!

I am going to try to be better at commenting more. I know how encourageing it is to get comments! :)

Your photoshop designs are wonderful, by the way!

Say "Hi" to your family as well!

Blessings!
~Amy