Thursday, December 23, 2010

Mary: A Different Perspective

For years, one character in the Christmas story I could not stand was Mary. Honestly. She has been so elevated to such a high state of holiness, and so admired by countless numbers of people that I had a distaste for her seeming "perfection". She was one Bible character I could not relate to, and thus, kept my distance from her.

But this Christmas , I have a different perspective.

While reading the Christmas narrative this year, I was amazed at this young girl's maturity of character. We read in Luke 1:29 after the angel Gabriel greeted her: "But she was greatly troubled at the saying, and tried to discern what sort of greeting this might be." Okay, first point of maturity. She thought before she did anything!

We have all heard the old adage, "Think before you speak", and that's exactly what Mary did. Mary considered things, weighed all options, and showed great discernment. Now, if I were in her shoes, and a great white angel appeared from nowhere, saying, "Greetings, O favored one, the Lord is with you!", I would have probably started saying, "'Greetings?' Me, favored? Okay, what's going on here? Who are you, and what are you doing?" Or I would have been stunned into a complete brain freeze, or perhaps went into hysterics! (Well, maybe that's a little extreme.) Mary waited for the angel to continue, while a million different thoughts probably flashed through her head.

She quietly listened to Gabriel speak, probably feeling overwhelmed about being the mother of the Messiah...and then totally confused. "And Mary said to the angel, 'How will this be, since I am a virgin?'" (Luke 1:34). Mary was very practical. (Wow, she is reminding of my mom!) How could she be a mother to the Messiah if there was no father? Wow, she was practical. :) She had common sense and a good head on her shoulders.

Next, Mary showed the beautiful character qualities of submission, humility, servitude, and love when she replied to Gabriel in verse 38: "And Mary said, 'Behold, I am the servant of the Lord; let it be to me according to your word.'" She humbly submitted to her Lord's will, showing her love for the Lord, and a willing heart to serve Him out of that love.

Here was a young teenager, displaying more maturity than I'll probably ever have! I admire her heart and character, and have found a wonderful role model in this young lady.

So in review, Mary was
  • Discerning;
  • Practical;
  • Submissive;
  • Humble;
  • Serving;
  • and Loving.

What wonderful qualities; qualities I continue to work on, and pray the Lord would give me as I grow in His Word and Love.

I must continune to be discerning in my choice of words and actions in the relationships I have; I must continue to think practically (this can be a feat for blonde, you know!) in my home and in public; submission and humility go hand in hand, and I continue to humble my heart to God and my parents; serving, something that does not come easily to me, is a quality I still am working on; and may I always love the Lord and the people He places in my life.

Merry Christmas!

Taylor

3 comments:

Rebekah said...

What a neat perspective on Mary. I hadn't thought of it much in depth before, but all of those are wonderful points!! She had the heart of a true servant. The character qualities she showed are all areas I need to work on in my life :)

Have a wonderful Christmas Taylor!

~Rebekah

Miss Kathryn said...

Great post, Miss Taylor! I think a lot of people just sort of skim over all that is in that passage because it is so familiar.

Miss Taylor said...

Thanks for your comments, Rebekah and Miss Kathryn; it was good to hear from you and your thoughts!

Hope you have a blessed and joyful Christmas!

In His Love,
Taylor