Thursday, February 10, 2011

The Little Brown Bible

I love the little Gideon Bible in our bathroom, and then again, I can't stand it.

The cover is brown and turned out on the edges. The pages are crumpled and worn. But the truths are so relevant each time I open the small Bible, and God uses this book to get a hold of my life, to wake me up.

My daily journal time comes around after we've all said good night and headed to our bedrooms. I grab my journal and camp out in the bathroom for a while, pouring my heart out, telling of unique happenings, relating mundane routine around the home, etc. Some days my entries are several pages long, others, just a sentence or two. As I share my stuggles, and battles become stronger as I mull over the day, the Bible calls and I seem to hear: "Open the Bible."

It is often reluctantly I pick up that little brown book, but other times, my heart is yearning for a Word from the Lord. God moves my fingers and directs me to exactly what I need to read. Sometimes I don't like what I find, as God's Word is "sharper than a double-edged sword" (Hebrews 4:12-13) and convicts me of sin I am dealing with at that exact moment. It always points me to what I truly need to be focused on: the Lord and living for Him.

Let me share with you a journal entry I wrote a while ago:

'Ugh, I go back and forth with my thoughts! I so want to go into my "room of
pictures" (Ezekial 8:12), but then I want to follow God's way. Seesaw, up, down,
round and round, yours or mine, up, down, seesaw. I'll see what God says... "You still the hunger of those You cherish..." (Psalm 17:14b) God can still the hunger in my mind and body for short-lasting pleasures, and fill me with true satisfaction and love, found only in Him. "...My people shall be satisfied with My goodness." (Jeremiah 31:14b) I will trust in Him to carry me through this trial, this tempting of my faith. "Now it is God who makes both us and you stand firm in Christ. He has anointed us, set His seal of ownership on us, and put His Spirit in our hearts as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come." (2nd Corinthians 1:21-22) "Put on the full armor of God..." (Ephesians 6:11a)'
God always lovingly redirects me with His Word, patiently reminding me of Himself and what He has done for me through Christ. He speaks so clearly to me through just the right verses at just the right time.

Thank God for the little brown Bible.

No comments: