Thursday, May 19, 2011

How Are You Investing in Your Future Children?





It is brown and black, with shades of brown, pink, and green as it's accent colors. The cover is reminiscent of a scrapbook, with a large butterfly and several embellishments adorning the front.

The little notebook was given as a gift from my foster sister for my birthday, because she knew it was "totally me" and I absolutely love writing and journaling. She knew I'd find some meaning for it, something special for its use.

And after much contemplation, I finally discovered it's purpose.

If you open the stiff cover, you discover my artistic writing covering the lined paper, beginning with the words:

"May 1st, 2011

Dear Daughters."

(And it continues...)

"I do not know you yet. I do not know what you look like, though I imagine your features and personalities. I like to think of you, and I do pray for you.

At this time, I know not what my future holds and what God has in store. In fact, I have no idea if I will actually have daughters - flesh and blood daughters - to present with this book of lessons. Indeed, who knows if I will even marry? So though while at this writing the mystery of your father's identity, and yes, your very existence is in question, I proceed with this little book.

As you turn the pages which contain numerous penstrokes of time, may you learn and heed the lessons I share from my heart.

I desire to reveal to you the accounts of the lessons I have been taught by the Teachers of Life: namely, Experience, Advice, and Observation. I pray you will give ear to the tears I have shed (shed from the pain of my mistakes), the laughter which results from godly joy (joy from doing right), and the hope in Jesus Christ which I have found to be my constant anchor.

I look forward to meeting you someday, and I anticipate some wonderful times of fellowship and learning together in the future.

But as I gaze over the blank pages, which stare so solemnly back at me, I tremble slightly at what hard lessons are before me. Yet I know that I learn not only for myself, but for those God places in my life to be taught [to teach].

'Listen my son, to your father's instruction and do not forsake your mother's teaching. They will be a garland to grace your head and a chain to adorn your neck.' (Proverbs 1:8-9)

Until next time.

With love,
your mommy,
Taylor

P.S. You don't know how odd it is for me at 19 to be signing off as 'mommy', but that is how I shall be to you. :) -TKG, 'Mom'"

So, how are you investing in your future children? What are ways you can invest in their spiritual lives and growth today?

"May 2nd, 2011

Dear Daughters,

It awes me somewhat to consider the fact this little book will someday be transmitted to your hands. To think of it's involvement with my future and your present...that is something so wonderful and thrilling that [it] is almost overwhelming and scary..."

Lacheln!
Taylor

4 comments:

Amy W. said...

That is a great idea, Taylor! I love it! What a treasure that will be to your daughters someday, Lord willing! :)

Blessings!
~Amy

Miss Taylor said...

*Amy: Thanks! :) I sincerely hope it will be a treasure to them, and I envision great times of fellowship and conversation with my future daughters...at least I pray so! :)

Blessings!
Lacheln,
Taylor

Hannah said...

Wow - what a touching and special idea!!! :-) Thank you for sharing it . . . who knows, I may start a journal for my future possible children too!! You are gifted with words, Taylor - you write so beautifully! :-)

Miss Taylor said...

*Hannah: Thank you for the sweet compliment! All glory to God!

You're welcome! Hey, that would be neat if this entire generation of Christian young ladies began documenting their journey for the next generation! :) Think of all the lessons and stories...

Blessings!
Lacheln,
Taylor